Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tomorrowland Banquet


Starting in 1980 a group of Tomorrowlanders and I decided that we needed a celebration to mark the end of the summer. A committee was formed to plan a banquet and I became chairman of that committee. In addition to all of my coordination duties I was also responsible for the design and printing of tickets, awards certificates and programs.

This is an example of that artwork. I worked from the company logo to redesign Mickey into a spacesuit. Although other examples of Mickey in a spacesuit exist this version is unique to me.

The banquet consisted of locating a nearby hotel with an available function room for catering, and planning an interesting program. A guest speaker would be invited for the pep talk, and awards would be handed out for the laughs. The highlight of the event was always an elaborate slide show that featured photos of the Tomorrowland cast members at work. I wish that I had copies of those photos now. The event always ended with dancing until the wee hours.

The events were all very successful and entirely produced and funded by the Tomorrowland cast and ticket sales. The company offered no financial help. The good news is that without their help we were free to do as we pleased.

The banquets continued for a number of years, but sadly all good things must come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment