Friday, July 9, 2010

Islands of Adventure Preview Center


At some point after I had left the Islands of Adventure project, and while I was working on Universal Studios Japan, I was asked to help out on the Islands of Adventure Preview Center. Specifically, the Seuss area of the Preview Center needed some rescuing. Management was not happy with the results of some cutout set flats that were due to be installed in the Universal Studios, Florida theme park. I couldn’t say who had done the original work, but it didn’t meet the high standards that we had designed to.

I was asked to work with the existing cutout shapes and redesign the images for repaint. The first of those images was for the Caro-Seuss-El carousel flat. I was able to work with most of the cutout shape, but top area with Horton had to be completely re-cut. The biggest challenge was for the menagerie of ride vehicles. All of outside lines remained the same while I re-worked the inside.

This was a fun piece to work on and it gave me an opportunity to integrate Dr. Seuss-like line work and styling into the set. It was intended to look more like the book art than what we could actually do in 3-dimensions out in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment