Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pleasantville


With my enthusiasm for mid-century design, it was a forgone conclusion that I would enjoy the art direction from the feature film, Pleasantville.  The entire Main Street area was constructed new for this film, in the parking lot of a California State Park.  After the film was completed the entire street was struck (removed) along with any evidence that it was ever there.

Despite the theme of the film, I’ve chosen to render Pleasantville in full color, rather than just black and white.

I have no drawings from this film and I had nothing to work from except for my knowledge of how big things are.  If one knows the size of a brick one may count bricks and determine the size of a building.  I created the entire street, in SketchUp, from study and speculation.  I found lampposts in Google 3D Warehouse, but I wasn’t happy with them so I built my own.  The only thing borrowed is the 50s car.

No comments:

Post a Comment